Car decals are stickers placed usually on the rear bumper or glass to show some sort of message to drivers around them. These stickers can show support to a political candidate, demonstrate school spirit for a college they attended, or even just display which type of dog they have as a pet. However, you may be regretting putting the decal on or are buying a used car covered in these stickers. How do you remove these stickers without damaging the paint? The process is a little complex, but very doable.
[ READ MORE: Importance of Waxing your Car ]
Steps to Remove Car Stickers without Damaging Paint
- Clean the area surrounding the sticker. It’s best to make sure there is no debris in the way as you start removing your sticker. We recommend taking the vehicle through a car wash before you start as it will clean the area and the heat of the water will help loosen the glue.
- Heat the sticker to loosen the adhesive. Using a hairdryer, use the highest heat setting and heat the middle of the sticker. Wait a few seconds, then heat the edges of the sticker. Make sure the hairdryer never touches the sticker or paint, as this can leave a mark behind.
- Use a credit card to lift the edges of the sticker. Fingernails can also work, but the card will job the job just fine. If the sticker is stuck to the glass, you can use a razor blade if the credit card doesn’t work. Never use the blade if the sticker is on the paint, as it will damage your vehicle.
- Keep lifting the sticker until it is completely off. If the decal breaks as you do this, don’t worry. It is normal for this to happen.
- Clean the area after the sticker is removed. Oftentimes, residue from the glue will be left behind. You can remove this by using special adhesive remover with a clean cloth and gently rubbing. You’ll likely only need a few drops of the solution, so add as necessary.
For more tips and tricks like this, follow the Auto Simple blog! Do you have advice on removing a car decal based off your experience that may be different than what we recommend? Let us know in the comments below!